Saturday, February 19, 2005

Route 44 Cherry Limeade

My first job (other than babysitting for my preacher) was at Sonic. I was 14 and lied and said I was 16 so I could bring in a few extra dollars to help buy clothes for school, etc. I worked inside, making drinks and shakes/ice cream cones, etc. I worked there about three weeks before I picked up a second job. Yep, two jobs at 14. I worked from 8 a.m. until 4 p.m. straight at an insurance agency and then from 4:30 p.m. until close (usually about 12:30 or so) at Sonic. I was absolutely exhausted all the time, but without child support coming in, and since my grandfather didn't leave any life insurance or savings, I felt like I had to do what I could to help Granny make ends meet. It wasn't her fault no one else wanted me, and it wasn't fair for her to have to foot the bill of my keep.

I worked this way for about a month and a half (during the summer) and I just couldn't do it anymore. The insurance agent I was working for found out about my other job and doubled my salary so that I could have enough money but only would have to work one job When school started back (my Sophomore year) I had to continue working - and was thus forced to give up my coveted position on the j.v. basketball team. I started playing basketball in seventh grade, and what I lacked in true athletic ability I made up for with heart.

At first I played basketball, volleyball (I was a setter) and track (shot put, discus and triple jump - no actual running events). But I fell deeply in love with basketball... I was horribly slow (god I hated running suicides), but I had a lot of stamina, an amazing jump shot and was a good rebounder. That and I had the stereotypical redheaded temper, and ended up getting fouled out of almost every game. I guess I was the requisite thug. Sort of a female, white, nonhockey playing Donald Brashear. I have a 2 inch scar on my left elbow from slamming my elbow into another girl's mouth in retaliation for trying to steal the ball from me while we coming down from a rebound. I got a technical for that and was pulled from the game. I tried saying it wasn't intentional [really, it wasn't... *batting eyelashes innocently*] but it didn't matter, they yanked me from the game because I was gushing blood. And Maryl - I'm really sorry about that now, honest.

That fall, I remember staying after practice to tell the coach that I had to quit because I simply couldn't make all the practices, and I didn't feel that it was fair to the team to stay on. I was valedictorian of my class, and was involved in competitive theater on the weekends, and was working too many hours after school. She said I was a disgrace because I was a quitter. Through hot angry stinging tears I told her that I had to quit. If I wanted to eat, if I wanted clothes on my back, if I wanted electricity on in the house, I had to keep working. She looked stunned for a moment, and then shrugged and said "well, fine then - quit. But just remember that you were the one who decided to quit. You were the one who decided what your priorities were and obviously they included letting me and your teammates down."

I haven't picked up a basketball in years. I never was very good at dribbling, but I could outshoot anyone from anywhere in the paint, three pointers, half court - it didn't matter. I'm lounging on the loveseat right now watching ESPN (college basketball) and listening to the highschool boys that live next door slam balls over and over and over again against the backboard. Don't they know how great it is to hear nothing but the swish of the net?

Since we don't have Sonics down here, I would really appreciate it if ESPN would stop showing the damn commercials - because I'm thirsty for a Route 44 Cherry Limeade now - or a coconut cream pie shake. And some cheese tots... yum.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home