Monday, February 14, 2005

Last dream before dawn

Tiny white lights are strung overhead, their luminescence echoing the thousands of stars splayed over the velvet summer sky. Silver moonlight filters through the canopy of pecans, silver maples, and cottonwoods, dusting our bodies in lavender shadows. Cloying honeysuckle clings in the air mingling with freshly cut hay. Your hands encircles my waist, drawing me closer to you. The small pearl buttons of my dress press into you as our bodies meld. Crickets softly hum, providing a melody only faintly remembered.

A gentle breeze tousles my hair. [1, 2, 3, and 4.] You smile, tucking a renegade curl behind my ear. [1, 2, 3, and 4.] My breath catches in my throat as your fingers graze my cheek – slowly outlining the pouty curve of my lower lip with your thumb. [1, 2, 3, and 4.] My dress swirls against my legs, caressing my bare skin. [1, 2, 3, and 4.] With each step the dance becomes more familiar. I am no longer mitering out the time in my mind, but folding myself into gentle submission of your lead.

My mouth opens – and nothing but a silent confession passes my lips. “Shhh”, you whisper quietly into my hair, “there is no need for words. There never have been for us.” Sighing with relief, I lay my head to your chest. We dance quietly for a few moments, our bodies communicating the complexities that words fail to explain. You lift my chin – raising my eyes to meet yours.

You know. My eyes have never been able to hide from you the secrets of my soul.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home