Saturday, February 19, 2005

Sandy girl blues...

Went to the beach this morning for brunch, and sat in the cool sun trying to protect myself from the rather fierce wind popping in off the water. The waves were pretty choppy, but not really big enough to justify the people who were attempting to surf. I didn't know seagulls would ride the waves, but they just sort of sat on the crest of the water... very cool.

The beach I frequent is within walking distance to the house (about a mile to where I like to stretch out on the less populated far side of the beach). While South Beach is topless and plastic surgery heaven, the place where I go is more of a family environment, with people of all shapes and sizes and colors (milky pale (that's me), burned (sometimes me), peeling burned (too often me), and tan (never me, unless my freckles decided to all meld together, as then I'd have a kick ass tan), and burnt to a well done brown crisp(every snowbird that's here, but never me in a million years)) all mingling together. There are a lot of people who wear very itsy bitsy teenie weenie swimsuits, and as I'm not a stick and bones kinda girl (I never really have been aside from when I lost an amazing amount of weight my first year of law school and tried that whole emaciated look for a bit before I realized that well, you needed to actually consume food to survive) it makes me happy that people are comfortable enough in their own skin to wear whatever they please. Well, mostly anyway. I still feel strongly that if you are wearing a speedo it's a crime against nature. I don't care how nice of a body you have, there's just no call for that.

There's a lot of development going in to that area of the beach, which is sort of sad, because it's losing it's kitchsy old Florida seashore feel and is becoming too modern, too commercialized. As much as I love Haagen Daz, I was sad to see it go in there - as I knew that was the beginning of the end for the mom and pop places. In three years, I won't recognize this place. [And G-d if you're reading, it's really quite cruel to make someone love ice cream as much as I do and then to smite me with lactose intolerance in my early adulthood. Seriously, not cool].

But what a great start to the morning. I think I'm going to use our outside shower [yes, it's outside, and installed for the sole purpose of trying to keep sand off the hardwood floors] and garden a bit. My tomatoes need to be staked because they're falling over with fruit. The herbs needed to be cut back or else the rosemary may take over the world.

Days like this make me think I could never leave here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home