Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Huffing

In highschool there were a lot of kids who huffed - paint thinner, gasoline in paper bags, xylene markers - if they even thought it would get them high, they'd try it. Not me... I was spray painting alumnimum cans for an art project and the resulting headache made it clear to me that this wasn't my cup of tea.

My office was painted over the long weekend, and the painter ran out of paint mid way through having it done. If you know you have to paint an office - and you already have the paint to do it with, and your profession is to paint - how do you run out? Anyway, they had to come back and finish it up last night. These fumes are noxious. I am completely incapable of coherent thought processing right now. Thus the following innocent, but rather poorly thought out exchange:

Still gleeful from my evaluation yesterday, I ran into my boss this morning in the hallway and gushed "Thank you so much for last night, it really meant a lot to me. It made me feel so good, so special" He said "No problem babe." and winked. Of course - one of the most gossipy people I know was standing behind us the entire time. Ugh. My office is like high school with the rumor mill... and while most of the time the drama that goes on here is true - the rumors that I'm sleeping with my boss definitely aren't. I have enough problems trying to explain how I got a partner's office with an ocean view as a first year associate without that hanging over my head.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home