Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Pepto Fountains

I live in the city of fountains. Seriously, this place is a hidden gem of beauty - nothing like the back woods cow town I imagined before I moved here. The only city in the entire world that has more fountains is Rome. They're beautiful (and I'm going to grieve when they're shut down for the winter. With temps dipping into the low 40s tonight I noticed one was turned off on the way into work this morning).

For the last few days the fountains in the city have all been spewing bright pepto pink water, and placards have been placed around the fountains to remind people to "think pink" and to get mammograms. I guess that October is breast cancer awareness month.

Now, I am a big supporter of breast cancer research - namely because well, I'm quite fond of my tatas, and can readily appreciate other peoples as well. I donate every year to the Susan G. Komen foundation, a very good family friend (who incidentally is a man) nearly died of breast cancer two years ago. Michael had a colleague pass away from breast cancer when she was only 26 or 27.

I was grousing on the way home that the fountains looked ridiculous - I just kept thinking of Julia Roberts in Steel Magnolias ("Paaaaank is my signatuh colah"). This morning though, my check on the girls in the shower rendered up something that just didn't feel right.

I have fibrocystic breasts, so things there are always unforunately a little lumpy. Vitamin E seems to help sometimes, but with normal hormone fluctuations things start to feel like cream of wheat that has been cooked too long. But the spot I found was rock hard, and it didn't move like the normal cysts.

In the end, I am sure that it will turn out to be nothing. In the end, I am sure that everything will be o.k.

But right this very moment, things are a little worrisome to say the least.

I wouldn't have remembered to even check had it not been for the fountains last night. I usually never check because I always assume I'm too young to worry about it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home