Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Raw

I feel so raw. I was flipping through pictures of the hurricane Wilma damage, and I am simply amazed. 98% of South Florida is without power, and they think it may be out for up to four weeks. A month with no power, which means - no lights, no air conditioning (yes, still quite necessary in S. Fla.), no gasoline (the pumps can't run without it), no hot water for most people's homes, no way to keep food cold - or to cook it (aside from a grill).

The street I worked on is littered with glass from broken windows from the high rises. The building next to it has close to 80% of the windows gone.

The building my husband worked at in downtown Ft. Lauderdale looks like a bomb went off.

Cell phone towers are down, so I can't get ahold of anyone to check in on them.

While I understand, and admit that the devastation is no where near that of Katrina as far as the loss of life - it's still horrific.

2 Comments:

Blogger evolver said...

I hope that you can soon get in touch with the people you knew there. I don't imagine cell towers are the priority right now...

3:52 PM, October 28, 2005  
Blogger newsgirl said...

things are getting better - today FPL said their new estimate is 95% of us will have power by 11/07/05 - most cell phones are working and the gas lines have gotten shorter. it was a shock to say the least - but for those of us that prepared the past week really has been just an incovenience. now we are really just holding our breath hoping that our economy can bounce back - please keep us in your prayers.

11:43 AM, October 31, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home