Friday, October 14, 2005

Weekend

I'm an amateur photographer, and was hoping to get away this weekend to take pictures of the changing leaves in the Ozarks. Unfortunately, Mother Nature is running a little late this year, so my plans will likely be sidelined. A pity because the autumn sun is so beautiful for photographs, it seems to make everything take on a warm, golden glow.

We have a Chiefs game on Sunday against Washington (and growing up - as I did in Dallas you are taught from a very early age that the Redskins are mortal enemies) . And how offensive is that name anyway? I can deal with the Utah Utes or the Florida State Seminoles for mascots, because they are actually named after a tribe. My great grandfather lives on a reservation in Oklahoma and although upon looking at me you would have no doubt that I am anything but 100% Irish or German, they are my people too. But "redskins" is just a racial slur. It would be similar to calling a team the Niggers or the Wetbacks or Beaners. It makes my skin crawl.

I'm hoping to get the 400+ tulip and daffodil bulbs I have in the ground this weekend, and hopefully doing some more writing, and perhaps work some on a quilt top that I'm planning.

Sometimes, not having big plans is the best plan of all.

1 Comments:

Blogger Blake said...

Yeah, we live in a very backwards society. When was the last time there was a racial statistic that had anything to do outside of black and white? Ever hear complaints about how there aren't enough Eskimo's getting scholarships to public universities? Or Native American's? If it ain't black or white, it isn't racial, aparently.

Blake

9:47 PM, October 14, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home