Thursday, September 01, 2005

Some things simply never change

I was heartened, at first to learn that people were opening their homes to those that lost theirs due to Katrina. I was pondering whether we would be able to help, and perusing the ads that people put up on craigslist and other places.

White Baptist family willing to house same.

I promise that I will stop talking about the hypocrisy of people who claim to be Christians. That is not what this blog is about... and it's not what I dwell on normally. But it bothers me. It REALLY bothers me.

All kinds of people, all faiths, all creeds, all colors, all sexual orientations, all races were affected by this disaster. I understand that it is (at least on a base level) gracious that someone would offer the intimacy of their home to someone. I realize that someone would perhaps, be a little uncomfortabe sharing their home with someone who did not share & respect their religious beliefs. But what better way to demonstrate your faith than by housing someone who is, shockingly enough, just a little different than you?

I did not, however, realize that as a nation we are still so fixated on race. I simply cannot comprehend how someone who claims to be a Chrisitan would refuse to provide a roof, or a meal for another human being because of the color of their skin...

2 Comments:

Blogger evolver said...

You'd think people would read the words of the guy they have a religion about.

In his most famous parable about helping others, he deliberately describes the rescuer and rescuee using the starkest contrast he could find - a Samaritan and a Jew.

And he said those words with a certain expectation of how his followers would follow them. So why aren't we following?

8:53 PM, September 01, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This bothers me in so many ways on so many levels...sigh...

6:22 PM, September 02, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home