Monday, August 15, 2005

A gentle reminder

I know, on at least some fundamental level, that no matter how difficult the trials you are going through - there is someone out there who is going through so much more. I didn't want to call, but sucked it up and e-mailed her back, thinking that if nothing else - we had our joint memories to fall back on if the conversation lulled too much. I now feel so guilty for thinking my problems were of anyone's concern.

She e-mailed me back almost immediately, pouring out the heartache that was her life for the last few years. Another failed marriage that lasted only months and other relationships that left her no better off, losing her job, her car, making the decision to let her three oldest kids live with their father and the youngest with her mother because she had no means to support them, living in a homeless shelter - someone who was once like a sister to me lived in a homeless shelter - because she had no where else to go. Dealing with fluid around her heart, and other serious health ailments - with no emotional or financial support system.

She's still struggling, the youngest baby girl lives with her full time now - and she's in preschool. She's trying to straighten out her credit and saving up to buy a house. She's working, and trying to scrap together the rest of her life. She's 27 years old and dealing with more than most people do in a lifetime.

My heart was breaking because I couldn't even imagine going through what she did. And she was so upbeat - saying that being homeless was the best thing that ever happened to her. That she was changed because of it - a better person. I don't know if she's found religion, or just hope.

All I know is that I wish I could help her. I wish I could make it better. That I could take away the years of pain she's had and give her the happiness she's always wanted. That she deserves. That every person deserves.

I feel so humbled.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home