Thursday, March 03, 2005

Wow.

Well, el resume has now been shipped off to three major firms in Dallas. And, if something panned out, I would be making $8,000 - $19,000 more than I do now. Don't get me wrong, I am quite happy with my current salary. But the cost of living is substantially cheaper in Dallas than it is here.

I filled up with gasoline this morning at $2.19/gallon. The average home price for my county is hovering around $340,000. And these are not stellar homes they're not even special. Many of them are old, in need of significant refurbishing, and the property taxes are astronomical. They are on the world's smallest lots - and crime is awful.

But there is the beach. The everglades. Beautiful palm trees. Cuban coffee.

But my family is there. My roots. My almost excised accent.

I am not the type of person who feels it is ethical to utilize another company's resources for a "free trip". I don't want to move forward with this unless I am sure that I would be willing to go through with it. And to be honest, I don't know.

But the resume is out - so I guess that means I am taking a step forward, perhaps blindly.

And S. - there is nothing wrong with Houston per se, it's just my entire extended family and many of my dear friends live in the Dallas area. My two best friends from grad school are in Austin - and it would be great to live near them again, but the legal market is only so so there (unless you're a lobbyist - and I don't kiss ass well).

1 Comments:

Blogger Ms. Pants said...

:-p

Good luck though, dude. If you're in the state, we could at least meet up now and again.

8:33 AM, March 04, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home