Friday, February 25, 2005

DNR

As I mentioned briefly, I've been in a coma before. My parents were married way too young, and I came along when my mom was about two months shy of being 20. My dad wasn't quite 21 yet.

When I was maybe two or three months old - there was a cyst/tumor type growth that was found on top of my brain. The doctor told my parents that if left there, the growth would slowly kill off blood supply to my brain, cause blindness, and eventually irreprable brain damage. So, they shaved off the shock of black hair that I had and removed it. I have about a six inch scar going from left to right at the crown of my head.

After the surgery, my mother was - understandably - distraught. The doctor prescribed a heavy sedative to calm her down - in liquid form. A valium derivative I believe. The nurse came in - read the chart - and gave the prescription to Miss D., not Mrs. D. She only got about a third to a half of the medicine down me, and instructed my mother to give me the rest.

She didn't. She threw it away. After a bit, she said that I became extremely still and just went limp. She called the nursing station and a nurse talked down to her - belittled her for being upset, and told her I was probably just tired. But my mother insisted that something was wrong. Very wrong. The nurse came to see, and never said another word to my mother - but sprinted down the hall with me in her arms.

I was in a coma for about 36 hours. They told my parents that it was best to take me off the ventilator. They told my mother to pray - and to let me go. She prayed fervently. Everyone did. They told my parents that if I didn't wake up by a certain time, that in all likelihood I never would. At the precise time, a lusty wail came from deep in me. The nurse was dismissed, and the hospital settled with my parents so as to prevent a lawsuit. The doctors cautioned however, that I would grow up with severe mental and physical set backs.

I, of all people, recognize that doctors can be wrong. I recognize that sometimes, when everything in medical knowledge says that it's impossible the grace of God makes it possible. While perhaps a quaint notion, I still believe in miracles.

That said, I hope that I make it loud and clear to my loved ones... do not make me a Terri Shiavo. Do not keep holding on to me when I have no hope left to live a life worth living. DNR.

Let me go with grace. Let me go with dignity. Let me go when I no longer have a quality of life that makes it worth living. Do not let me burden you with my care, with the sustainment of a life that is such in name only.

Do not deny me peace after such a long journey.

I hope Terri's parents can do the same for her.

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20050225/ap_on_re_us/brain_damaged_woman_27

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home