Thursday, March 03, 2005

Bad timing

Yesterday afternoon, I got a call from a reporter wanting to quote me for an upcoming article in what is quite possibly one of the most important publications in my field. The only problem was, I was in the midst of a crying fit when the call came in - so I sounded something like this:

"Sniffle... well you see we are advising our clients to... sob... sniffle... I don't know... you know... well, to do ... sob... something..." Yeah - so I'm almost hoping that I don't get quoted. I don't think I got out a single coherent sentence in the entire interview. He must think I'm a babbling idiot.

And of course, headhunter calls were pouring in yesterday. I'm not really unhappy with my job, but I have always been taught to be pleasant to these people because you never know when you may need them.

There's a specific firm that they have approached me about before, but I didn't really pursue it as the position was in Houston, and if I relocated to Texas - I was really hoping for Dallas or Austin (not to knock Houston - I just don't have any close family/friends there). Well, now they are willing to put the position in Dallas if that's what the candidate wants, and they called me about it three times within the space of two hours. I'm sending my resume in just a few minutes, after a final proofing. I don't know that anything will come of it - or even if offered the position I would take it (unless it was substantially more than I make now) mostly because it means finding another job for Michael, both of us sitting a new bar exam, finding new living arrangements, giving up the 70 degree year round temperature and the everglades and the beaches, having to wait another year for paid maternity leave, etc. But I'm trying to remain openminded and see what happens.

It would be so much closer to my family. My baby sister turns 15 on Saturday. I've missed out on so much in the last four years. It would be so wonderful to be back in some ways, but admittedly - I know it's awful to say - the distance is welcome at times.

And damn. I forgot how hot Texas gets in the summer. Although I must say that Bluebell, Salt Lick, and mexican food might make up for that.

1 Comments:

Blogger Ms. Pants said...

Helloooooo!! What's wrong with Houston, eh? :-)

1:44 PM, March 03, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home