Wednesday, January 26, 2005

Flashbacks

When I was born, my hair was ebony hued and incredibly thick. After they shaved it for the brain surgery when I was two months old it came back in (eventually) a deep red. As I grew older, it got lighter, turning a golden copper with strawberry blonde highlights in the summer. It was neither straight nor curly - just sort of a tousled mess.

During my freshman year of high school I decided to lighten it, and one of my best friends and I dyed our hair "blonde" at about three in the morning. It was horrible. Absolutely horrific. My grandmother was livid and had it fixed, and they made it a deep chocolate shade. It was pretty but as pale as I am it was way too sullen. They ended up cutting my waist length hair off into an incredibly short bob because the dye had damaged my hair so badly. I remember I did it in the middle of the week, and they kept counting me absent at school because no one recognized me. Since I had the giant scar in my hairline, I couldn't part a bob the way everyone else did, or have bangs - so it was an odd haircut for me.

After that I pretty much left it alone until I started college. Somehow I decided it would be a good idea to dye it red - again at about three in the morning. Bad move. It was supposed to be close to my natural color - but it ended up maroon - almost purple. It was supposed to be temporary - but I couldn't get it out of my hair. So I did what any logical 16 year old going through a 'punk' phase would do and dyed it bright lime green. Since I lived next to the music & arts dorm I don't think anyone even noticed. After about a week, I was tired of it and switched to some cinnamon honey color.

Although I had a brief stint at about 18 with platinum blonde (so funny because I don't even recognize myself in the pictures), I've always been partial to my hair being red. When I got tired of being referred to as "Scully" (personally I never saw the resemblance, but apparently everyone else in the free world did - which led to some pretty nice perks when X-files was popular) I started growing it out. I chopped it back off in law school - and soon someone would walk by and say - "has anyone ever told you..." I would just cut them off and say yes. Yes they have. and keep walking.

I've been growing it out lately for Locks of Love - a foundation which makes hair pieces for underprivileged children. http://www.locksoflove.org/. Thankfully it grows fast, and I only need a few more inches before I can chop it off. Long hair is a pain to deal with - especially when it's as thick and wavy as mine is. I hotrolled it today (for the first time in YEARS) and it's so bouncy and shiny I feel like I should be in an 80s shampoo commercial with it cascading down my back to my Jordache jeans.

I feel very texasbeautyqueenesque today. Good hair days are the best.

1 Comments:

Blogger April said...

Why is it that men tend to prefer long to short hair?

10:25 AM, January 27, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home