Monday, August 08, 2005

Settling in

I'm here. I'm alive, but I can't say much more than that.

Well, to recap - here's the story.

The bar exam was horrific, I stayed in a hotel that advertised great room service and a relaxing pool only to get there, be refused my room - and have the restaurant mysteriously "under rennovation" and the pool be a 2 foot deep extravaganza of black sludge. At least I had semi-operative air conditioning, something a lot of other hotel guests did not have. Although I did have a rather poorly skilled clarinet player in the room next to me during the night inbetween day 1 and 2 of the bar.

We were supposed to leave on Friday morning, after I flew back from the bar exam late Thursday. Now, what is the ONE thing that would be bad to happen on a flight where you have to leave from your destination at 6 a.m. and drive across country? Hmm. that would be 1) a delay and 2) the airline losing your luggage. Guess which happened to me? That's right - BOTH. As I was sitting in the DFW airport - some period of time close to FOREVER on the runway - I had a sneaking suspicion that somehow my bags were not on the plane with me. This is also about the time that we had been sitting on the tarmac for close to 30 minutes with me needing to have gone to the bathroom before we left St. Louis and listening to the inebriated women behind me go on and on about nothing in the thickest Texas drawl I've ever heard. My bags decided that they would like to take the scenic route to S. Florida and ended up at around 2 a.m. at my house.

As he was coming to pick me up from the airport, his check engine light came on. Now I've been known to be a daring person upon occasion, but somehow moving across country didn't seem to be the time to have a car breakdown, especially when faced with finding service for one of them 'foreign cars' in backwoods Mississippi. So we thought we'd drop the car off at the dealership, tell them the importance of us getting it back quickly, and be on the road later that afternoon. Since his car was being dropped off, we thought we'd have mine looked at too. Nine hours later, two nails had been removed from my front tires, and his oxygen sensors were replaced. Storms were rolling in, so we decided to leave the next morning and suffer one more night on an air mattress.

As we were finally getting ready to leave, after packing an ungodly amount of stuff into the cars that the movers neglected to take (although - upon unpacking last night I did find that they so nicely decided to pack FRESH plums in a silver decorative basket for me.... oh that was retched. Nine days without temperature control does not make for an especially fresh plum) We each hauled one cat into the freshly catnip induced front seat of our respective cars, and bode the beaches, sand and waves goodbye. After driving for awhile I decided to let Alex out of the carrier because he seemed so calm. Seemed. What occurred next was a disaster of sorts involving a longhaired cat with exploding diarrhea who took shelter in a rubbermaid tub full of cactus, a devastating rainstorm that made it impossible to roll down the windows in the car, and no place to turn off the highway for around forty minutes, about three packages of baby wipes and a stench that I am not sure will ever get out of the upholstery in my car. And did I mention at that point all he wanted to do was to crawl in my lap. Good times. It was so awful that I couldn't stop to eat, afraid that when I rolled down the window the stench would hit the fast food attendant so hard that they would pass out.

And here I thought the bar exam was rough.

We made the 26+ hour drive in two days, and have started settling into the new place. I don't think I've ever been this tired though, and am so busy at the new job I can barely see straight.

I love having my own bathroom again, and I'm going to have killer legs given how many times I go up and down the stairs in the new place. It doesn't feel like home yet, but the neighbors are salesmanagers for a high end wine and beer distributor, and made us welcome with two wonderful bottles of wine that I can't wait to sample - assuming I ever find the wine glasses in the ENORMOUS FLOOR TO CEILING stack of boxes on ALL THREE STORIES OF THE HOUSE.

But yeah, I'm here. The people are really nice, and I like my new job a lot but sweet jesus am I busy.

I find out if I passed the bar around mid September. That's a long time to wait. A long long time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home