Thursday, January 13, 2005

Sigh.

I'm having a craptacular day. I've been up since 4 a.m. and at work since 6. For most people that's not unusual, but for me it's a sure sign of the pending apocalypse - as I usually stroll in between 10 and 11 a.m.

I'm tired... cranky... and just kind of in an overall bad mood (which is highly unlike me). So, in order to force myself to cheer up, I must think of the "good things" in life:

Favorite Beverages:

Beer: Just one? Guinness. Perhaps Tucher in the summer with a big wedge of lemon. Ohhhh - and when I can get it Boulevard Unfiltered Wheat. Yum - or a black and blue made with Coal Porter and Bar Harbor Blueberry Ale (http://www.atlanticbrewing.com/ Or - Blue Moon Belgian White (which sadly I realize is a Coors product now). The problem is that most American beers are like having sex in a canoe* (of course tasty treats like Shiner Bock are excepted). The only generalized exception to that is Budweiser. It must be cold very cold - but God it's great at a baseball game - but there only. I love tasting new beers - and thus one of my favorite parts of Christmas Day was spending time at the Flying Saucer in downtown Ft. Worth. The only kind of beer I really don't enjoy are I.P.A.s unless the hops are extremely smooth. But generally speaking, I'm much more of an oatmeal stout/porter kind of girl.

Wine: Hmm. Other than the fact that I hate chardonnay, I don't really care. I love deep full cabs, and merlots that melt on the tongue, and shiraz too - even a pinot grigio occasionally.

Mixed Drink: Hmmm, lately it's been a dirty (dirty dirty - almost raunchy) martini with a blue cheese or jalapeno stuffed olive or two.

Non-alcohol: Probably pineapple juice - or unsweetened iced tea. Although - I must admit that I hate the expression "unsweetened" - it implies that the tea was sweet, and that the sugar was removed.

Favorite Flowers: Where do I start? If I wasn't an attorney I would be a botanist. Roses - but deep yellows with red blushed tips - or my favorite a "sunset" rose - which is creamy peach with yellow and red. Irises - which I cannot grow here. Daffodils and tulips (also can't grow here - but wow were they beautiful in Seattle in the spring). Hyacinths, orchids, bluebonnets... buttercups (which also don't grow here - even if they are weeds, I miss them).

Other things I love (in no particular order): christmas lights (old school multicolor or plain white - but never mixed); cuban foot silk stockings and black lace garters; dancing; brie; fishing (fresh water predominately - but deep sea too); begniets and chicory coffee with jazz in New Orelans; vintage hats; curling up with a good book on a rainy day; flannel sheets; the earthy smell of feed stores; towels warm from the dryer; hearing children laugh; the smell of a good garlicky marinara sauce; old Quebec; waterfalls (one of the most beautiful I've ever seen was hiking in the mountains of New Hampshire); horseback riding; the soft underside of my cat's belly; sparkly costume jewelery from the 1940s; baking bread/pastries; sleeping on the beach; morning glories; velvet; men with accents; waterford crystal; getting a massage; and fresh pineapple and peaches that leave sticky rivulets of juice all over you.

I feel better already.

*Fucking close to water.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home